Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Creationist Threat

Europe's primary human rights body will vote on a proposal this week to defend the teaching of Darwinian evolution and keep creationist and intelligent design views out of science classes in state schools in its 47 member countries.

A report for the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly said the campaign against evolution has its roots "in forms of religious extremism" and is a dangerous attack on scientific knowledge.

"Today, creationists of all faiths are trying to get their ideas accepted in Europe," it said. "If we are not careful, creationism could become a threat to human rights."

- Reuters/Washington Times (read full story here)

If I made a list of all the things threatening Europe, Creationism would not even be on the list.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I am starting to read a new book on this subject.

I am interested in the scientific case for species to species evolution. I am not clear on what that case is. I must have been goofing off in science class that week.

Maybe I don't understand a lot of things. I could use some assistance.

Orthoclase said...

As you well know, this is one of my favorite subjects.

Evolution is actually the equivalent of a college major at some institutions (e.g., University of Chicago).

Even after four years of study, a person would have barely cracked the surface.