Sunday, November 12, 2006

the wrong Russ

(from the Sunday 11-12-06 issue of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)

Feingold rules out 2008 run for president

Feingold had been publicly weighing a presidential bid since early 2006, forming a political action committee, traveling to key states such as New Hampshire and Iowa, and cultivating a more national constituency as an early and outspoken opponent of the Iraq war, the Patriot Act and other Bush adminstration policies.

"But I have never had a craving to be president of the United States, " said Feingold.

Feingold sent an e-mail to supporters Saturday night announcing his decision.

In it, he said, "I'm sure a campaign for president would have been a great adventure and helpful in advancing a progressive agenda."

"However, to put my family and all of my friends and supporters through such a process without having a very strong desire to run seems innappropriate to me."

No comments: