Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Crabb's head

I saw an interesting bumper sticker today:

"Honk if you have seen Crabb's head!"

I think they might be referring to the head of Henry A. Crabb, killed in 1857 at the town of Caborca (in Mexico).

Crabb made the mistake of believing the commander of the Mexican militia when the latter reassured him that if Crabb and his men surrendered, they would be afforded military POW rights.

Crabb and his men surrendered, and were promptly executed.

Crabb's severed head was preserved in a jar of mescal.

The Mexicans reportedly later drank the mescal, but the fate of the severed head remains uncertain.

There was an unconfirmed report that "Big Nose Bill" Sunomono (a member of the infamous Sunomono clan that terrorized the Old Wild West) perished with Crabb at Caborca.

Sources:

Arizona: The History of a Frontier State (1950) by Rufus Kay Wyllys

The Info-Fascists at Texas Christian University who clearly do not understand free speech rights regarding selective quotations [you coprophages can sue me any time]

Unpublished personal communications from several people who prefer to remain anonymous (for obvious reasons)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Where did you see this bumper sticker? Did it look like a custom-design job? Was it on a Mexico-licensed vehicle? There must be a handful of people in the USA who would understand such a sticker. I wish I could find the owner, as I'm quite interested in Crabb myself.

Orthoclase said...

I saw the bumper sticker in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

It was definitely a custom job.

I do not remember the license plate, but it was probably Wisconsin, otherwise I would have noticed.

There are a lot of people from Mexico in the Milwaukee area.