Friday, April 13, 2007

Brodhead

I join with everyone who cares about justice in welcoming the North Carolina State Attorney General’s announcement that the remaining charges have been dropped against David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann. This announcement comes at the end of an extraordinarily painful year for the young men and their families. They have carried themselves with dignity through an ordeal of deep unfairness.

- Duke President Brodhead

I remember Brodhead from when he was at Yale. I once thought he was a decent guy, now I think he is smarmy.

His present tone is very different than his previous anti-player rants.

He has obviously shifted into defense mode. He expects that the players' attorneys are going to sue him and Duke, rightfully so.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I am in favor of a lawsuit against Duke University, including specifically the 80 professors who signed the petition demanding the boys be expelled, tarred and feathered.

And the President and Board who fired the coach and canceled the season.

I would also hope all Duke alumni hold back on all donations until these issues are addressed.

As for Nifong, I would go for civil suits first, while compiling evidence for criminal charges. It is time for the other shoe to fall.

I would also sue Jessie and Al, if for nothing else, to cost them money and distract them from their extortion tactics.

But that's just me. I would be a little angry about what happened if it was my son.