Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sounds fair to me

(Thanks to Mark for this one)

As the CFO of a business that employees 140 people, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barrack Obama is our next President, and that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way. To compensate for these increases, I figure that our customers will have to see an increase in our prices of about 8%. However, since we cannot increase prices right now due to the dismal state of our economy, we will have to lay off six of our employees instead. This has really been eating at me, as we believe we are family here and I didn't know how to choose who will have to go. So, this is what I did. I walked through our parking lot and found 6 Obama bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these folks will be the first to be laid off. I can't think of a more fair way to approach this problem. These folks wanted change; I gave it to them.

1 comment:

Mark said...

The bigger problem however, is that this rational action of letting someone go may someday be illegal.

In California, it basically is illegal already, unless the person being fired is a white heterosexual male. Then it is ok still.

And of course, the potential of hiring some of the work to be done overseas for less money? Also becoming illegal.

The most reasonable action for the small business owner? Quit, stash away whatever cash is left, do more fishing, and rely on "middle class tax breaks" (aka welfare) and free health care like everyone else.

Of course that does mean all of the former employees, and many of the employees of the supplier firms, have all lost their jobs.

But the social justice result will be much more fair, since now that evil guy who was making the big bucks no longer is.

Doesn't everyone feel better now?

I do. I like fishing. Much easier than running companies.