Friday, October 27, 2006

Flowerdew

The No-Work Garden: Getting the Most Out of Your Garden for the Least Amount of Work

(2002) by Bob Flowerdew

First, there is no way I believe the author's real name is Flowerdew. A professional gardener named Flowerdew?

The author has some strong opinions on the subject of gardening. Hence, the book.

"While it is true that the more you put in the more you can get out, you must also ask: is it worth it?"

My own comment = Gardening is a journey. And sometimes it is a war.

"Who looks better? The lady with a few fine pieces of jewelry or the one with ten times as many trinkets?"

My own comment = Too few blooms impoverish the view.

"Few ornamental plants are better survivors as ground cover than lemon balm."

My own comment = Totally agree. One of my favorites. And right now, I have more lemon balm than anything else. Or anyone else.

"For the greatest ease of all and the very least pruning, dwarf trees or bushes standing in a well-mulched piece of ground are the best choice."

My own comment = Excellent advice. But only buy from reliable vendors, lest your dwarves turn out to be giants.

"The medlar is a culinary or dessert delight enjoyed by only a few people who like this weird fruit which must be bletted (rotted) before eating."

My own comment = Convinced me, I have to try one.

No comments: